Tuesday, October 19, 2010

sweet babies, sugar mama, and the professor.

The year was 1999.
It was 3:00 in the afternoon.
I was in a meeting at Eastview Christian Church where I worked at the time.
My children were eleven and eight years old and needed their mama to pick them up from school.
I glanced at my watch, realized I was late, and announced, "I gotta run and get my sweet babies!"
Eyebrow arched and voice dripping with sarcasm, my then-co-worker Isaac Gaff needled,
"Your SWEET BABIES?"
"Yes, my sweet babies. Someday you will have some of your own,
and you will understand. But right now, I'm late."

It is now 2010, and Dr.Gaff understands.
He became a dad.
Although I've never heard him say it out loud, I'm pretty sure
five year old Hannah and not quite two year old Laurel
will always be his sweet babies.
Bet he even whispers it in their ears when he tucks them in at night.
The arched eybrow?
Parenthood hasn't changed that (see below).

It is also somewhat ironic to me that their mama has recently begun a cake decorating business
under the name "Sugar Mama."
Such a sweet family (pun intended).

Professor.Papa.Gaff

Check out Sugar Mama on Facebook or at  http://www.cakesbysugarmama.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment